Friday, May 14, 2010

Do you clip, bite, or peel off your baby's nails?

Good luck clipping. That crap is scary! Terrified me the first time and I nearly clipped skin.





I bite and/or file with a small baby nail file. Works perfect when I'm nursing. This is when she is most relaxed for me.Do you clip, bite, or peel off your baby's nails?
Depends on the age. Right after they are born you are not supposed to clip them because there nails are like there skin. It is better to file the sharp edges down, but if they have a nail that is already peeling, then peel it off. Once they are over a month, it is usually safe to start clipping them. You can usually tell when they are ready for clippers just by feeling the tips of the nail. If they are hard and not as flimsy, then go with the clippers, but if not, just file or peel them.Do you clip, bite, or peel off your baby's nails?
My son is 3 weeks old and I file his nails with a little baby nail filer every other day or so (he likes scratching his face when he fusses, so I have to make sure he doesn't have any sharp nails). I am not comfortable using a nail clipper on his tiny little nails yet, and biting them? eh... that would be a bit of a last resort. I only peel his nails when I see a bit of a hangnail, which is usually when he tries to do his scratching bit. I'd recommend filing his nails.
Oh my! I tried to clip my son's nails when he was tiny, and snipped a bit of the skin off the end of the finger... TWICE! I can't believe I did it a second time. Poor thing, it bled a bit, and he whimpered a bit, but *I* bawled like a newborn that's had it's bum slapped! I felt like such a terrible mother.





From then, until he was about 10 months when his fingers and nails were bigger, I'd put off doing anything about them for ages, then bite them off. I found it a bit tricky to tear them.
clipping is just nasty!! i only tried it once and accidentally clipped my poor son's finger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





i always found the nails a bit tough to bite or peel so i have been using nail scissors you know the kind with the curved blade and cutting his nails while he sleeps so he doesn't wriggle around. it works a treat and you can see what you're doing unlike clippers!
I don't do any of the above. I use surgical scissors i was given by a nurse friend. They work perfect. And I don't do it while he is awake just because you never know when he just might move and besides why make him suffer and try to keep him still when I could do it when he is sleeping. That is so much more easier and there is no fussing or making him cry. If you can't get surgical scissors then find some type of nail scissors. Good Luck.
I filed my sons nails with an emery board for the first few weeks. It was the only thing that seemed to make sense when he was that little. I started clipping them when that wasn't enough to keep up with his growing nails. And the idea of biting nails seems less than sanitary to me.
when my daughter was really young i would peel them as they generally started to lift themselves and now i bite them as there is NO WAY i would put clippers anywhere her wiggly waggly fingers and hands... its a 3 person job clipping our dogs nails nevermind trying to hold down our daughter!!!!
I cut them with little baby scissors that have a protective edge. I hate to bite her nails and peeling them always leaves little sore bits and man, clippers and me don't go together after a bloody start.
at the beginning i bit them off since they were so thin. then at about 3 months i used the nail clipper from the emergency kit that helps you not nick their skin. now at 6 months im using the nail clipper with the lil magnifying glass. it works like a charm.
Clip 'em. They seem to grow soo fast!! Actually, they were long when she was born too! I couldn't wait to go home from the hospital so I could clip them, they wouldn't do it for some reason.
Both lol i have been known to nibble them off as when she was a newborn i caught her skin and she got an infection in the corner and i felt so bad.
i clip my babies nails, i know of ppl who bite and peel and i tink that just messes them up and gets them all jagged feeling
i tried peeling but they kept bending, clipping is easier, just pop baby on your lap, hold hand steady and clip away
I clip my kids nails. And when they were babies, I clipped them also. I use nail clippers.
I don't have a baby, but I do usually bite my own fingernails. My toe nails I either peel or clip.
Honestly, biting and peeling is easier than clipping. It's too easy to get skin caught in the clippers.
I use nail scissors! Never cut my boys fingers before! Clippers are to hard and biting is horrible i couldnt do it..
I bite!! yum yum...clipping scares the crap outta me!
I clip my baby's nails from the time he was born.
peel he doesnt like the clipers and i wont dare bite them
bite or peel just sounds bad... I will clip when my baby is born.
clip and peel


they grow so fast- it's crazy!!



clip em..it's hard but i try my best
CLIP





biting - ew thats unsanitary. the poor little bub will get germs.


peeling - not exactly the safest way to do it...you could rip it back too far.
Yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment